Author Topic: Should Dr Who be regenerated as a Time Lady?  (Read 737 times)

Offline kimbra_ailis

• Dark Goddess of Rain
  • Administrator
  • Master Savage
  • Dark Goddess of Rain
    • Elliquiy Role Play
Should Dr Who be regenerated as a Time Lady?
« on: June 04, 2013, 05:08:24 AM »

By Belinda Goldsmith

LONDON (Reuters) - With the 11th Doctor Who quitting the Tardis, fans of the popular sci-fi television series are debating whether it is time for a woman to step into the well-travelled shoes.

Matt Smith's decision to quit the popular BBC TV series after a 50th anniversary show in November and a Christmas special has sparked speculation of a 21st century makeover for the doctor, who has battled Daleks and Cyberman since 1963.

Bookmaker William Hill was offering odds of 8-1 on the next Dr. Who being a woman with suggested actresses including Billie Piper, who played the doctor's sidekick Rose Tyler a few years ago, Tilda Swinton and Olivia Colman.

Ladbrokes was offering odds of 20-1 on Helen Mirren taking the role in the series that is broadcast in up to 48 countries with 77 million viewers in Britain, the United States and Australia alone.

An editorial in Britain's Times newspaper joined the debate, saying Dr. Who started as an attempt to teach viewers about history and has always been closely connected to big events.

"The shift from male to female authority is difficult in politics and business but it is surely not beyond the capacity of the Doctor," wrote the Times in an editorial.

Some fans, however, were adamant that a man should fill the role held by William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, Jon Pertwee, Tom Baker, Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy, Paul McGann, Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant.

"Are BBC intent on sacrificing all remaining Dr Who fans on the altar of political-correctness?" tweeted one fan.

But the chance of a female Dr. Who remained a long shot.

William Hill had its joint favourite replacements at 10-1 as Rupert Grint of Harry Potter fame and Russell Tovey who appeared in a couple of Dr. Who episodes.

Ladbrokes' favourite at 3-1 was Rory Kinnear, son of Roy Kinnear, who is a recurring player in the James Bond series.

The show's lead writer and executive producer, Steven Moffat, was giving nothing away.

"Somewhere out there right now, all unknowing, just going about their business, is someone who's about to become the Doctor," he said in a statement announcing Smith's departure.
.... I need an orgasm and a nap....

RPRequest

Offline Carlosdevil

• Your Evil Angel
  • Serial Pervert
  • I drink therefore I am.
Re: Should Dr Who be regenerated as a Time Lady?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 08:20:10 PM »
As intriguing as the idea is, I think it far more likely we'd get an American Doctor or a black Doctor before we got a female Doctor although I wouldn't put it past Stephen Moffett to shake things up.
Protected by ADT. Motherfuckers.

Offline RayPistonprowl

• Serial Pervert
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 09:27:49 PM »
Perhaps if the Doctor reincarnated as a woman he'd discover his new naughty bits and never leave the Tardis for quite some time?

Offline duff

• Stalker
  • here?
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 06:16:48 PM »
Im not a huge Dr who fan.  The wife actually got me into the series. But I can say truly that ultimately whatever the decision made will result in me missing David Tennant. 

Offline CaughtByMoonlight

• BadMoonRising
  • Massive Pervert
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 07:15:51 PM »
It might be about time to explore what it means to be a Time Lord/Lady and figure out what it is about the culture that produces them... a good way to find out stuff about a culture is to see what happens between the genders.
Wordslut

Offline AdamWantsYou

• No molestar
  • Stalker
  • Bitte nicht stören
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 12:31:05 PM »
Olivia Colman or Olivia Williams. Better still, both ;)

Offline SirSinister

• Sir
  • Depraved
  • Outside your bedroom door
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 06:26:16 PM »
Ok while according to the story line TimeLords can regenerate to the other sex I doubt the series would have the same impact...

in fact there is a BBC special called 'The Women of Doctor Who'...

And everyone in that agreed Donna was the best companion for the doctor... why because she was the only one who didnt have a thing for him and she put him in his place constantly...

I dont see a male companion filling that same role without coming across as a prick...

On a side note... it will be interesting to see how the new movie plays out seeing as there will be david tenant, matt smith, tom baker... christopher eccelston said no... but we will have his voice from the passed... the killer...  maybe that will show us part of the time war... "What I did, I did without choice, in the name of peace and sanity"
The devil follows me day and night, because he is afraid to be alone...

Offline CaughtByMoonlight

• BadMoonRising
  • Massive Pervert
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 12:06:29 AM »
And everyone in that agreed Donna was the best companion for the doctor... why because she was the only one who didnt have a thing for him and she put him in his place constantly...

I dont see a male companion filling that same role without coming across as a prick...

I think it would be possible if you had good writers, the right actor, and a Lady Who with some headstrong tendencies. But that's me.
Wordslut

Offline Ingenue

• snugglepet
  • Massive Pervert
  • Y-y-you wouldn't rape me though, right? Um, right?
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 03:57:47 PM »
Honestly? I would rather have a new show with a new strong female heroine and leave the Doctor, who clearly self-identifies as a male, out of it. I don't want a "heroine" who is a man in a woman's body, because it's still all about the male viewpoint. I want a heroine who Gets Shit Done and incidentally is female.

A female Who would have too much baggage. It would all be about her femaleness when it should be about her Being Brilliant and helping people and shouting "Allons-y". The resultant whiny fandom would kill it for me almost as much as bad, gender-stereotypical writing.

And Moffat can't write female parts. He really... really... really just can't. At all.

I guess it would be interesting for transgender fans though.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 03:59:36 PM by Ingenue »
Of course I didn't obtain consent, silly! Then it wouldn't have been a surprise!

Its head looks like a hat made of arseholes ~GoldenGuineas

I guess I need to start raping your brains IN. ~the savage

My god, your tumblr. All that sexiness that makes me harder than chinese algebra, then ... ponies. ~Ray

Offline Carlosdevil

• Your Evil Angel
  • Serial Pervert
  • I drink therefore I am.
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2013, 01:10:12 AM »
Ah well. It's Peter Capaldi. Looks like a female, Asian, Black or Latin Doctor will have to wait for lucky 13.
Protected by ADT. Motherfuckers.

Offline Ingenue

• snugglepet
  • Massive Pervert
  • Y-y-you wouldn't rape me though, right? Um, right?
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 06:57:25 PM »
Number 13 will be a petgirl Doctor. There, I called it!
Of course I didn't obtain consent, silly! Then it wouldn't have been a surprise!

Its head looks like a hat made of arseholes ~GoldenGuineas

I guess I need to start raping your brains IN. ~the savage

My god, your tumblr. All that sexiness that makes me harder than chinese algebra, then ... ponies. ~Ray

Offline sgtpepper42

• Stalker
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 07:29:34 AM »
no

Offline BludMagnus

• Alpha Male Rapist
  • Depraved
  • Jaded means having the Keys to the cuffs.....
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 10:50:19 PM »
At one time, I was afraid that if I said my peace, perhaps some flack may be given.  I don't have problem with that anymore.

The answer is no.  Not because a woman couldn't pull of the part, but because the hypocrisy is that many of the same fan girls screaming for it are the ones who wanted to "bang the Doctor" when he was portrayed as a hot younger guy.  The moment that she was past a certain age or wasn't getting flirting from the hot male companion, the butt hurt would flow like Vesuvius erupting all over again and everyone knows it.
I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity.
--Edgar Allen Poe

Offline Trill

• Lockshop Connoisseur
  • Administrator
  • Kiloposter Society
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 12:58:16 AM »
IT'S HAPPENING

BRAVO BRAVO CHARLIE A FEMALE DOCTOR IS COMING
"Now that you mention it... last time I smelled my shit, it smelled vaguely pineapple." - Natalija

"CONCORD are the space cops. If you attack someone in a high-security solar system, CONCORD will commit police brutality." - Encyclopedia Dramatica

"Mugs, Mugs, Mugs. Mugs, Mugs, Mugs. Mug-a-mug. Mug-a-mug. Mugs! God, why can't I stop singing this fucking song?!" - Muggy, Fallout: New Vegas

"Think the cops would let you go out of sheer awkwardness if you screamed tase me harder daddy? Let's start circulating that on the sovereign websites and find out.?" - random commenter on YouTube